Saturday 17 November 2007

sustenance

Returning from a few days' happy, sunny journey around Cumbria, Northumberland and Scotland, I still had the wrapper from the delicious Selkirk Bannock I'd bought on Lindisfarne on Monday and been munching en route since.

To give it its full title it's Dalgetty's Famous Original Selkirk Bannock: naturally rich fruit bread - made with butter

It's certainly delicious so I went to the web to see if I could buy some online. Not sure if I really want to pay all that but the bonus is that I stumbled on information about Dalgetty's Selkirk Bannock on 'Practically Edible' - a delightful website for foodies around the world. Among its delights is a 'food calendar' which celebrates food and recipes. How about this quote from Henry James (American writer. 15 April 1843 – 28 February 1916):

It might seem that an egg which has succeeded in being fresh has done all that can reasonably be expected of it.

And apparently today is "Homemade Bread Day".

Northumberland, Scotland and Cumbria were looking stunning this week and Russell and Sue's car was on best behaviour so I indulged it in a photoshoot on Lindisfarne - thanks R&S!

Glamis castle the journey
aching beauty Lindisfarne castle sunset
stonework little dazzler Cuthbert's isle

No comments: